Monday, June 15, 2009

WAH!!! I want to go to camp, too!

We are sending Evan to camp this summer...well, not "summer", because it's only for a week (for some reason, they do not allow you to send them for more than week. Not that I'm wanting to get rid of him, but after camp last year, he wanted to go for a longer period of time).

Evan's camp had an open house on Sunday for families to go to and check out the camp, do some of the activities, and meet the staff. Can I just say, WOW! This place was amazing! I admit, I didn't have high hopes after last year's camp (Evan had fun, but the place was a dump!), so anything a step up would've WOW'd me. But seriously...WOW! They gave everyone guided tours in wagons around the area, and you could get off at any point and participate in the activities.

For starters, the tour took us around to the horse corral (already a step up from last year's camp which did not have horses). I expected to see 6-7 horses..at the VERY most, 10. Nope. They had 75 HORSES!!! Can you believe it?! The kids first learn to ride around the corral, and then later in the week for the campers, they go on trail rides. WOW!!! They had an indoor corral which also had an indoor rock climbing wall for rainy days. (I don't have a pic of the horses, because it was sprinkling when we went around that area, and I didn't want to get my camera wet.)

They had a riflery range (air rifles for kids under 13, real ones for 13 and up). So, we took a few turns shooting. I am proud to admit that I hit the target on my first and only try...and I've never picked up a real gun in my life. Super soakers are about as close as I get.




Next we stopped by the small man-made lake. Again, I don't have a lot of pics, but it had a zip line that you go on and drop into the lake, a diving board, a huge (this sucker was at least 30 feet on a deep slope) slip-n-slide, and of course, canoes!


Then we walked over to the rope course and outdoor rock climbing wall. TRES COOL!!! I wish I had better pics. Pfffffttt on rain!




At this point, it started pouring down rain! And it didn't let up. We didn't want to wait for a wagon to come by to take us back to the main lodge, so we set out on the back paths. We got a good look at the cabins and let me tell you...these things are nice! Nice hardwood floors (like the new laminate flooring), 4 bunk beds for campers, and two singles for the counselors. VERY spacious! I was beyond impressed.

Here's one more pic of Evan....and to think...they cancelled the open house last weekend because they were expecting light sprinkles. (I think you can click on the pic to see exactly how drenched we were)



Check out the camp website to get a better idea of the rope course, etc.
http://www.dallasvalley.com/summer98.htm

When's it going to be my turn to go to camp???

No comments:

Post a Comment